Tuesday, March 27, 2007

things that are cool!!!


So, I have this weird fascination for things you don't expect to be true. Like, ice hotter than boiling water - doesn't that sound like an oxymoronic statement? But apparently it can happen; water actually turns into multiple kinds of ice, depending on conditions, each kind with different properties. I'm not entirely sure why this is so cool to me - maybe because up here, ice is almost a constant presence (just when you think Spring has come -- snow! Agh); but probably also because of what it means, that even with something like water, there's still more to discover. I like knowing that there are still secrets, even if I don't know what those secrets are. Sometimes the world should be a mystery.



In other similarly awesome discovery news, I went on a book-buying-binge a few days ago (not that I'll ever have time to read what I bought, more fool me, putting objects of temptation right underneath my nose), and have fallen in love with a poet: Lola Lemire Tostevin. The book: site-specific poems. I kind of doubt the legality of me posting a sample poem of hers onto this blog, and so I won't; but if anyone wants to borrow my copy, they're welcome to it.
I'm currently sitting on three essays. All of them are due. Man-yacks. It's time for me to get cracking; though I've consumed enough caffeine that it's more likely that I'll buzz, instead of crack.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michiko! you're back! I have missed you, dude!

Petra said...

man, there you go flaunting your 'dude' all over the place again.

haha, yes, i'm going to be more with the 'keeping in touch' thing, no worries!

DJH said...

Don't worry Petra, your profs called: your papers have all been cancelled. Don't do them. You're welcome. Yes, I am a good friend, thank you.

Petra said...

Dave, if you could make that happen I would personally start a religion devoted solely to you (and maybe also dinosaur-zombies).

Anonymous said...

I might feel compelled to join that religion. I miss your rantings, dearest Petra. no dinosaur-zombies though. not cool.