Friday, February 16, 2007

hunh.

My procrastination tendencies were just horrifically enabled. Something must be wrong with the world. It must have tilted, off-balance, resulting in a production of some strange gravity where my slackery is what holds me upright rather than what drags me hideously down.

Anyways: the second McSweeney prompt: Write a short scene set at a lake, with trees and shit. Throw some birds in there, too.

There was a mountain of shit piled on Hogsback's shore. It dwarfed the surrounding centuries old jackpines; it loomed threateningly over the few cars parked slightly up hill. "Dear Lord," one camper said to another. "It's majestic, after a fashion," was the reply.

Each watched as a flock of small birds, singing back and forth to one another, alighted atop the shitpile and promptly sank up to the breastfeathers in it.

I kind of take things literally some of the time. In other news: I am out of milk, which means I must drink my coffee black and abstain from cereal unless I wish to have a very dry throat. This makes me vexed. Verily, it is so.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you know what's good? Having your cereal in yogurt. Yeah. Unless you don't have yogurt, in which case, continue being vexed.

DJH said...

When I was young, a family we knew adopted a mentally-handicapped boy named Eddie. He ate cereal in orange juice. One day I asked my mom if I could try cereal in OJ, and she said I could, but if I didn't finish it I would be punished. I didn't finish it, yet I wasn't punished. The moral of the story is: parents lie about cereal consequences.

Anonymous said...

ok, I feel compelled to leave another comment. Post more Petra!

Anonymous said...

ps...the above comment is from Janis.I changed my username just in case I need to deny ownership of my dumb blog.

Petra said...

jan, i did continue on my vexed state. mostly because we did have yoghurt, but it was something like 2 and 1/2 years old. so. i was kind of afraid to open the carton, in case something launched an attack.

now i'm 'hoofing it, and my mom keeps the fridge full of things that go well with hot beverages and cereal. yay!

...hopefully you are vexed. for several different, diverse reasons that cause you daily irritations.

and i like your new user name.

Petra said...

dave, i find that the type of cereal is key when eating it with oj. i mean, you can't get clashing tastes. generally fruit loops are a no; cheerios a doubtful; and cornflakes a typically safe bet.

that could just be because i'm disposed to cornflakes though.